Skip to content
- 18 years or older
- NYS Driver's license or ID card
- Cannot have a felony record
- Complete the 8 hour pre-assignment course
- All applicants must be finger printed at a designated facility
Send Security Guard Application Packet to NYS Department of State, Division of Licensing Services (we recommend sending the application certified mail)
- New York State Application
- Finger print receipt
- Copy of Driver's License or ID Card
$36.00 Application Fee made payable to the NYS Department of State.
- Money Orders, Company Checks or Cashier's Checks only
- Do Not Mail Cash. No Personal Checks or Credit Cards
- Once the application is mailed the applicant may be hired as a security guard - They Do Not Have to Wait For The Actual License before starting work.
- NYS requires the second course, 16 hour On The Job Training class , to be completed no longer than 90 days once they begin working as a guard. We recommend taking both courses together as it is easy to become remiss and skip the 16 hour course.
- Each year security guards are required to complete the 8 hour re-certification course
- Every two years security guards must renew their Security Guard License with NYS. At this time the state will check that all required training has been completed and the guard is in compliance
Employers of security guards must ensure the following are up to date while the guards are working or be subject to fines:
- Active NYS Guard License
- Active NYS Drivers License / NYS ID Card
The only people exempt from training are retired Law Enforcement or Corrections Officers but are still required to:
- Send an application to NYS
- Active Security Guard License
- Active Driver's license / NYS ID Card